Friday, May 28, 2004

at least I have a job

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2001941116_globalwarming28m.html

"We're trying to let people know — in a tongue-in-cheek way — that what the environmental left is pursuing is very dangerous from a job and economics perspective," said Karen Kerrigan, co-chair of the United for Jobs Coalition. The group is running a newspaper ad called "The Day After Kyoto" that parodies the movie with a picture of an unemployment line and a litany of economic losses that pollution controls could trigger.

You know, maybe she’s right. I know that caps on carbon-dioxide are necessary to really stem the tide of global warming, but I have to get to work. I know that what we are doing is causing more and more people around the world to hate America, but we have to have our oil for at least the next few decades. I’ll be retired before we run out of oil, and I have to get to work, so I guess that’s worth it. I know that our national debt is the worst it has ever been, but my job pays my bills so I’m not too worried about that. I know that a lot of people are losing their jobs, losing their homes and having to live on the street, but I don’t see them in my neighborhood so it doesn’t really affect me. I know that the Pentagon is thinking of restarting the draft again, but my children are 6 and 8, so this war will be over by the time they are eligible.

Of course, it does really matter. It takes more than a day to make the changes that are in the movie “The Day After Tomorrow”, but they are happening. Carbon Dioxide is on the rise. More people are hating America. The world my children will inherit is at least as important as the world that I live in, and they will be the ones to pay off the national debt if we don’t take care of it first. I do see the homeless every day going to and from work, and their numbers are growing. And the draft affects everyone, because our best and brightest future prospects are being taught to shoot guns instead of help our world grow.

When will we grow up?

No comments: