Thursday, July 23, 2026

Extraction is NOT a kind of Transaction

Earlier this month the IRS sent me a letter saying they would be mailing me a check for $1.36. The check arrived. It was for $1.56.

I have been turning this over ever since. Somewhere in a system large enough to process the tax returns of a continent, twenty cents went one direction rather than another. I do not know whether the letter was wrong or the check was wrong. I do not know whether, some months from now, I will receive a third piece of correspondence politely asking for the difference. The cost of the envelope that would carry that request exceeds the amount in question by a factor of three, which tells you something about how systems behave when the accounting is separated from the thing being accounted for.

So I walked to the bank to deposit $1.56, and on the way I was thinking about something else entirely, and by the time I got home I had what I think is one of the larger missing pieces of a framework I have been building for twenty five years.

I want to lay it out, and then I want to ask you to try to break it.

The question that started it

I have been designing a portfolio tracker for Total Growth Investing, and I got stuck on something that should have been trivial.

How do you record cash?

Every other position in a portfolio is a sector. Technology, healthcare, energy, and so on. Cash does not fit. You could call it a fourteenth sector (11 MSCI + Diversified + Leveraged + Cash?), capital parked and waiting, but that misdescribes what it does. Cash is not waiting to be invested. Cash is the part of the portfolio that has not been committed to anything.

Then the harder version of the question showed up. If I have a reserve floor and I spend below it, is that transaction different in kind from spending above it?

I had been trying for a long time to define extraction as a type of transaction. There are money in, money out, transformations, transfers. I kept looking for a shape that was inherently extractive, some mechanical signature that would let a ledger flag it. I never found one, and I now think the reason is that no such shape exists.

What I think is actually true

Extraction is not a property of a transaction. It is a property of where the transaction leaves you.

Say you decide, in advance, how much protected capacity you need to remain resilient. Call that a barrier. Everything above it is deployable. Everything below it is reserve you should not be spending.

Now extraction becomes arithmetic:

Deficit is how far below the barrier you are.

Extraction is the amount by which a transaction increases that deficit.

Restoration is the amount by which it reduces it.

The same act, mechanically identical, is ordinary deployment at one reserve level and extraction at another. That is why I could not find the signature. I was looking at the wrong thing. I was looking at movement when I should have been looking at position.

Two things follow that I did not expect.

Being below the barrier and moving deeper are separate measurements. A person with no savings who puts aside a thousand dollars has done something restorative while still being in a bad position. Position and direction are independent, and any honest accounting has to report both.

And a system can be in a state where all of its ordinary activity is extractive. Not because anyone is behaving badly. Because there is no reserve left, so every normal cost has to come out of something that should have been protected. I have started calling that an extractive sphere, and once you can name it you start seeing it in places that had previously just looked like people struggling.

Why this mattered to the larger framework

The framework I have been building runs on four pillars. Capital, which turns stock and velocity into work. Information, which turns data and verification into proof. Innovation, which turns ideas and experimentation into solutions. Trust, which turns agreements and validation into commitment.

Underneath all of it there is supposed to be a single axis: coordination that builds from verified present positions, versus coordination that extracts from unverified future positions. Wealth and debt, in the structural sense rather than the financial one.

I have been able to describe that axis for years. I have not been able to measure it. Every instrument I could point at it was measuring something else.

That is the thing the barrier fixes, and here is why.

Protected capacity is a verified present position. It is what you actually hold, right now, confirmed. A deficit is a position that was spent before it was earned. So slack is not similar to the wealth side of the axis. Slack is what a verified present position looks like when you put a number on it.

Which means a civilization running with sufficient reserve, in every pillar, at levels that have actually been tested against real disturbance, and without importing that sufficiency from a deficit somewhere else, is wealth-based in the structural sense. A civilization that lets extraction quietly draw down its reserves is running on debt, no matter what its output figures say.

I want to be careful here, because the tidy version of that sentence is not quite right. Reserve that is hoarded and never deployed has never been tested, so its adequacy is asserted rather than known. And reserve in one place can be surplus that arrived as somebody else's deficit. Both of those are still debt-based, and both look fine from inside.

The part that surprised me most

I had been treating the four pillars as parallel structures. They are, but they are also connected in a way I had described qualitatively and never quantified.

When trust degrades, the cost of enforcement rises. Contracts get longer, monitoring increases, everything requires verification that used to run on a handshake. That overhead comes out of somewhere. It comes out of capacity that would otherwise have produced something.

So a deficit in one pillar does not stay there. It moves, and it arrives somewhere else in that place's own units. A trust deficit shows up as a capital deficit. A capital deficit shows up as exhaustion in the people doing the work. An innovation deficit shows up as an inability to respond to a change nobody anticipated.

That is the piece I have needed for about a year. My framework has always said that fields propagate consequences and pillars accumulate what persists. I could never say what the thing was that propagates. I think the answer is the deficit.

Now the part where I try to talk myself out of it

Here is where I want help, and I mean this literally rather than rhetorically.

I asked several research partners to go find out who else has discovered this. The answer came back fast and it was humbling. Almost every component of this has been found independently, in at least thirteen fields, by people who mostly do not cite each other.

David Woods, in resilience engineering, built a whole theory around what he calls capacity for maneuver and the risk of saturation. That is my choice surface and my barrier proximity, arrived at from safety science, and his version is more formal than mine.

Jens Rasmussen described in 1997 how organizations drift toward a safety boundary under efficiency pressure through a sequence of small, locally rational choices. He also observed that the boundary usually cannot be located until after the accident, which is the hardest objection to my whole approach, and he did not solve it.

Marten Scheffer and colleagues have a method for detecting how close a system is to a threshold without knowing where the threshold is. You measure how long it takes to recover from small disturbances. Recovery slows as the boundary approaches. It has been demonstrated in yeast populations and applied to climate systems.

Partha Dasgupta made my central diagnostic argument for national accounts in a report commissioned by the UK Treasury. GDP measures a flow, wealth is a stock, and a flow measure structurally cannot see asset depletion. His numbers are worth sitting with: between 1992 and 2014, produced capital per person roughly doubled while natural capital per person fell by close to forty percent.

Sendhil Mullainathan and Eldar Shafir wrote a book called Scarcity that uses the actual word slack and has experimental evidence that being below the barrier degrades the very capacity you would need to climb back above it.

And the term itself goes back to Cyert and March in 1963.

So the honest report is this. The pieces are not new. Not one of them. What I have not found, and I have looked, is anyone connecting all of them to a declared barrier, deficit arithmetic below it, extraction and restoration defined against that arithmetic, transfer of deficits between qualitatively different domains, and the whole thing positioned as an instrument for a general debt and wealth distinction.

That connection might be the contribution. It might also be that I have not read the right paper yet, which is exactly why I am posting this.

Three specific things I want checked

One. The load-bearing gap is conversion. I can say a deficit propagates. I cannot say at what rate, or whether the transfer is symmetric, or in what units. Thirteen fields have stayed separate largely because their units do not convert, and I do not get to wave that away just because I noticed the shared shape. If you know of work that has actually solved cross-domain transfer of this kind, I want to read it.

Two. There is a hole in the research where verification should be. Every other pillar has a literature about its reserve. Capital has liquidity and buffers. Innovation has experimentation capacity and evolutionary variation. Trust has social capital and coping capacity. Nobody seems to have written about verification reserve as a thing that can be depleted. Two independent searches missed the same pillar, which is either evidence that I have carved the framework wrong, or evidence of genuinely unexplored ground. My best current guess is that queueing theory is the bridge, because verification is a queue and queue delay explodes near full utilization in a way that would explain a great deal. But that is a guess.

Three. The identification of slack with verified present position is very clean, and clean things make me nervous. It is possible I have defined my way to a result rather than found one. If you can construct a case where a system holds plenty of tested, uncommitted, unimported reserve in every pillar and is still doing something structurally debt-based, I would genuinely like to see it, because that would tell me the barrier is a necessary condition and not a sufficient one.

Where this leaves me

I am not claiming to have invented anything in physics, economics or biology. I stand at intersections and notice when the same shape shows up in more than one place. That is the whole method, and it fails in a specific way: patterns are easy to see when you are looking for them.

What makes me think this one is real is that I did not go looking. I was trying to decide how to store a cash balance in a database, and the answer turned out to be a floor, and the floor turned out to have been sitting under the entire framework the whole time without ever being drawn.

The check was for $1.56. The letter said $1.36. I still do not know what happened to the twenty cents, and I have stopped expecting to find out. But I know something now that I did not know on the way to the bank, which is that the difference between the number a system reports and the capacity it actually holds is not an accounting error.

It is the whole question.


The working note behind this post runs to several thousand words and includes the full pillar treatment, the prior art survey, and the open questions. If you want it, ask and I will send it. Pushback is more useful to me than agreement, and specific pushback most of all.

No comments: