The idea was to make it look as much like the toy as possible, to try to build it like the way the toy designer(s) did.
The design came from the 2009 Voyager Ironhide toy. Shea transformed the toy into vehicle mode, and we collected a bunch of cardboard boxes with pieces big enough to build a truck of a size necessary to make a costume out of. We completed the truck, but didn't get a picture of it before we cut it up to make the individual pieces of the costume.
The result was a three piece costume, plus a mask and the weapons.
Here's a link to some pictures on Facebook.
Velcro does not stick to black trashbags very well. We eventually had to get some electricians tape and give it a few wraps between the back and the shoulder pieces. This means that we won't be able to use this exact design to transform it, but it held together really well for the walks down the street and to the Northgate Mall.