Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Investments report, 2011

2011 was a crazy year in a lot of ways, but my investment strategy seems to be working just fine.

I ended the year with a total account value of $8,114.17.  I had put in $2,400 directly from my paycheck over the last 12 months.  My total dividends for the year added up to $650.64, up from $266.65 the previous year, mostly because I was putting so much in myself.

Over the next 12 months, I'm currently calculating a dividend return of $974.69, or 12.02% yield.  Of course, I'll be putting in another $2,400, plus buying additional shares and getting dividend reinvestments along the way so the dollar total will probably increase.

As far as share value goes, I only look at the summary screen, and it is telling me that I have lost $44.97 or 0.78%.  That's overall based on the original purchase of each share compared to now.  My highest gain in dollar terms was AT&T, which gained $363.55 or 24.17%, and my greatest loss was Chimera Investments which lost me $273.42 or 35.01%.  CIM is still paying a 20.08% dividend yield, probably because the share value has dropped so much, but as long as it is paying it's worth holding on to until the share value reaches 20% of what I bought it for.  CIM is one of the shares that pays me over $100 per year in dividends, and until that changes I'll hold on to it.

Overall, 2011 was a good year for my investment strategy.  I am up to 2.17% of my goal, which is to earn $45,000 per year from dividends alone.  I have a ways to go, but I can see it happening within 15 years or so.  Just in time for early retirement, as long as the world is still here for me to enjoy.

No comments: